Selecting a Wedding Cake - Cake Tops, Cake Knife and Questions
to Ask Bakery
The bride's cake is often topped and surrounded with fresh flowers, but traditional cake tops are also very popular.
Options: Bells, love birds, a bridal couple or replica of two wedding rings are popular choices for cake tops and can be saved as mementos of your wedding day.
Beware: Some porcelain and other heavier cake tops need to be anchored down into the cake. If you're planning to use a cake top other than flowers, be sure to discuss this with your baker.
CAKE KNIFE / TOASTING GLASSES
Your cake knife and toasting glasses should compliment your overall setting; these items will bring you happy memories of your wedding day every time you use them. The cake knife is used to cut the cake at the reception. The bride usually cuts the first two slices of the wedding cake with the groom's hand placed over hers. The groom feeds the bride first, then the bride feeds the groom. This tradition makes beautiful wedding photographs. You will need toasting glasses to toast each other after you cut the cake. They are usually decorated with ribbons or flowers and kept near the cake. This tradition also makes beautiful wedding photographs.
Things To Consider: Consider having your initials and wedding date engraved on your wedding knife as a memento. Consider purchasing crystal or silver toasting glasses as a keepsake of your wedding. Have your florist decorate your knife and toasting glasses with flowers or ribbons.
QUESTIONS TO ASK BAKERY
- What is the name of the bakery?
- What is the address of the bakery?
- What is the name & phone number of my contact person?
- How many years have you been making wedding cakes?
- What are your wedding cake specialties?
- Do you offer free tasting of your wedding cakes?
- Do you freeze your wedding cakes?
- How far in advance should I order my cake?
- Can you make a groom's cake?
- Do you lend, rent or sell cake knives?
- What is the cost per serving of my desired cake?
- What is your cake pillar and plate rental fee, if any?
- Is this fee refundable upon the return of these items?
- When must these items be returned?
- What is your cake delivery and set-up fee?
- What is your payment policy?
- What is your cancellation policy?